Monday, February 11, 2008

Bravery - on both sides of the grave


I'd like to ask any reader who suntans heavily, or uses tanning salons, or has family and friends who do so, to please read this post very carefully and view the linked videos. It's important.

Australian Clare Oliver contracted melanoma (skin cancer) at the age of 22, most likely through the over-use of sunbeds (artificial tanning machines). In a courageous move, she used the last years of her life to speak out about the dangers of such devices.





Sadly, Clare didn't live to see the legal restrictions for which she campaigned.





However, her stand has borne fruit. Legal restrictions on sunbed use have been introduced in some Australian states, and a recorded message from Clare is now being broadcast on national television as a warning to other young people. The Cancer Council of Australia is supporting those efforts. Her message is receiving widespread Press attention as well.

Her message is being echoed in more and more countries. Use your favorite search engine and look up "dangers of sunbeds" and you'll find a host of links. Other news organizations are also joining the chorus. The BBC has a good clip on YouTube that I can't embed here, but is worth watching.

I'd like to appeal to any of my readers who are into this sort of thing: please, please think very carefully of the dangers. I've lost a few friends to melanoma over the years, and it's a very unpleasant way to go (not that there are any really pleasant ways, I suppose!). In particular, if you're using sunbeds, be extremely cautious. The dangers are real.

May Clare Oliver rest in peace, and may her example save many from her fate.

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peter,

Thanks for sharing this story. I agree with the need to better educate the public to the dangers of skin cancer, but disagree with the restrictive laws in place. I would prefer to see an industry standard instead that mandates parental approval (including showing Claire's story).

Just my $.02 cents. I am really enjoying your blog since LawDog pointed me this way.

Steve