Monday, March 24, 2008

Boys And Their Toys #1


I think a new series of posts is called for - something to go with Weekend Wings, Doofus Of The Day and so on. I'm calling this one Boys And Their Toys.

The reason will become self-explanatory as soon as you've read this post (or even before you finish it!).

I'll start with the boys of Top Gear, the BBC TV program. They're basically three adolescents who've never grown up (and flatly refuse to even try to do so), having as much fun as possible with things that move on (and sometimes off) roads.

They also seem to enjoy getting large military machines and guns involved in some of their shows.

Here are four video clips to show you what I mean. In the first, Jeremy Clarkson tries to run rings around a Challenger II main battle tank (and avoid getting shot by it) while driving a Range Rover.





In the next clip, a Lotus Exige sports car tries to make it around a racetrack without an Apache attack helicopter "locking on" to it with its fire control system.





Next, Jeremy Clarkson tries to make it through a sniper-infested village, using a Porsche and a Mercedes-Benz, without getting "shot".





Finally, the Bugatti Veyron, the world's fastest production car, takes on the Eurofighter Typhoon in a drag race. The car will do a mile along a runway, turn around and come back. The Eurofighter will also cover a mile out and back - straight up and down. Let's see who wins!





Like I said . . . boys and their toys!

Peter

2 comments:

Peripatetic Engineer said...

One of my favorite shows when I was working in London. I was sooooo happy when BBC America added it to their line up , even if the shows are a year behind.

Anonymous said...

Absolutley a fun show to watch. I myself try to never miss the show each Monday night on BBC America.

They seem to have a low opinion of Americans once in a while, but that's all right, sometimes I think they're idiots. :)

It all balances out.