Tuesday, May 20, 2008

OK, readers, put on your creative hats!


I see that the USAF is inviting its servicemen and -women, as well as civilians in its employ, to name the new KC-45 airborne refueling tanker.

As you probably know, the Airbus A330 won the KC-X competition to provide the USAF's next-generation refueling tanker, but the decision is being protested by Boeing, whose 767-based offering lost. I guess it'll be some months before we know the outcome of the protest.

The thing is, no matter who wins, there will be a new refueling tanker aircraft. I'm not in the Air Force, and I imagine the same applies to most of my readers: so here's a challenge. Think of a suitable name for the new tanker aircraft, and post it here as a comment. If we get some good ones, I'll forward them to a USAF buddy for submission.

I'll start the ball rolling. How about painting the thing white? Then you could call it Moby-Dick!



Peter

10 comments:

PresterSean said...

Ah, it'll just end up being the Global-something.

Like Globaltanker.

Of the Global-Brontosaurus,

Christina RN LMT said...

Seahorse
Kangaroo
Lifesaver
Constellation
Big Rig
Whopper
Emperor
Empress
Majestic
Albatross
Condor
Pelican
Anole Lizard
Gecko
Komodo Dragon
Dragon
Whale Shark
Sword Fish
Great Dane
St. Bernard
Elephant
Camel
Everest
Sequoia
Hurricane
Cyclone
Typhoon
Monsoon
Tsunami
Monster
Supernova
Petunia
Daisy
I think I'm tapped out...

Christina RN LMT said...

Wombat
Koala
Tasmanian Devil
Wolverine
Badger

Simeron Steelhammer said...

OMGUtter
OMGFuelSIE (fuel sure is expensive)

something like that.

Anonymous said...

Manatee
Global Warmer


I'm not sure I like our military outsourcing their equipment like that. Yes, I'm aware that it happens, just don't like it.....

Anonymous said...

It's made in France and gives gas.

Cassoulet?
Garlique?
Either way...

Brandon said...

KC-45 Inflator

Billll said...

Grenouille
Crunchy Frog
Bull Frog

Global Frog?

Anonymous said...

How about 'pamplemousse' (grapefruit)?

And considering that the evolution of the term, once in the care of our servicemen, will be something like this:

pamplemousse -> pimple-moose -> pimple -> zit

I think that will satisfy everyone.

:)

Unknown said...

I suggest Expeditor II for the name of the KC-45 for the following reasons:

An expeditor is a person or thing that hastens the progress of some task That's certainly applicable to aerial refueling.

Expeditor II is a good fit with the name of the other remaining tanker, the KC-10 Extender.

Expeditor II honors the Beech C-45 Expeditor, which served the USAF and it's predecessors from 1940 to 1963.

Steven P. McNicoll
De Pere, WI