Friday, May 16, 2008

Some amazing artwork


A friend e-mailed me the Web site of Muddy Mountain Pottery. I've been browsing there off and on all week, and thoroughly enjoying myself.

Not only do they have the usual sort of pottery, but some artistically-minded potter has produced what he or she calls 'Raku Ray Guns'. They're pottery representations of some of the great weapons mentioned in science fiction novels. For example, there's the Lensman's Delameter from the novels by E. E. 'Doc' Smith:




Then we have the Van Voght Defractor:




I daresay Jules Verne would be delighted with the Nemo Squidulator:




And there's the Verne Leyden Ball Flinger:




Nice work! There are plenty more at the link. See 'Raku Ray Guns', 'More Raku Ray Guns' and (at the bottom) 'Archive Of Sold Raku Ray Guns'.

I think I've found a gift for a couple of gunny friends . . . and no, I don't get any commission or freebies from MMP, I just like to share a good idea when I encounter one.

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a science fiction geek from way back (nevermind this stuff they're writing now: give me Heinlein, Voight, Asimov, HG Wells, Jules Verne.....) these ray guns are GREAT! I definately want one --- or all of 'em!