Monday, September 1, 2008

Hurricane Gustav Update #6


I just went outside. The wind's started to pick up: no more than a breeze at the moment, but all the trees are in motion, and it's strengthening even as I listen. The air is very heavy indeed, pregnant with moisture. One almost feels that if one took a double handful of air and squeezed, water would run through one's fingers! Lots of Gulf humidity has been carried inland ahead of the storm.

Friends in the Louisiana State Police tell me it's howling down South. Tropical storm force winds are running from New Orleans right through to Lake Charles, and spreading out on either side of that area, from the Alabama border of the Florida panhandle through to Port Arthur in Texas. Hurricane-force winds are beginning to affect the Houma-Thibodeaux area of extreme South Louisiana. Gustav is predicted to come ashore near there in a few hours time.

I've done all I can to prepare. Now . . . we wait and see. Next update will be mid-morning or thereabouts, once the rain bands and stronger winds hit us.

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm blogging from Gulfport, here - my prayers are with you, and lemme know if you need any info passed along.