Monday, September 1, 2008

Hurricane Gustav Update #7


The wind's beginning to pick up further. All the trees are in motion, but so far only gently. The air's getting heavier still, if that's possible!

I took my truck down to the local gas station just after 5 a.m. to top up the tank with a gallon or so, and get a couple of bags of ice. I'm sure we're going to lose power, so I may as well try to save some of the contents of my freezer. (Generators are too expensive on a disability income, I'm afraid.) Still some traffic heading North, but very little now. Everyone who's going to go, has gone, I think. Town is still crammed to overflowing with refugees from South Louisiana, who've decided they'll ride it out here and hope for an early start on the way home, perhaps tomorrow afternoon.

Heavy clouds coming in, still high up, but moving fast. I imagine they'll get lower soon, and the rain should hit us within an hour or two.

Peter

2 comments:

Deborah Cullins Smith said...

I keep refreshing this page in hopes that you have posted an update -- any update -- that would tell us you haven't blown away. My guess is that you are a bit busy at the moment! My prayers are with you, Peter. God keep you in His care.

deb

Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Peter,

Don't know when you'll get this, but wanted to say I've sent out a prayer for you. When I lived through Hurricane Charley we were without power for 5 days. Others south of us didn't have power for a month!

Donna