Wednesday, January 14, 2009

One way to cure constipation!


I'm obliged to Dennis M. for an e-mail alerting me to this story.


CENTERVILLE, Utah - The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse.

Police say a man's gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the bathroom at a Carl's Jr. restaurant Tuesday. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.




A few shards of porcelain cut the man's arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.

Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old man's firearm while they review the incident. The man had a concealed weapons permit. No charges are being filed.


Yep . . . that'll get your attention, all right!

Seriously, though: I've carried a concealed weapon (legally) for many years. One thing to learn early on is that there are situations, such as restrooms, where one simply can't leave it in the holster - there's too much risk of it falling out. One has to take it out and set it down somewhere safe before dropping one's trousers, or run the risk of something like this.

One gentleman I know even had the bad fortune to have his gun fall out of his holster while he was pulling up his trousers . . . and drop right into the as-yet-unflushed toilet! He had to fish it out (delicately) and swill it off under a tap outside the cubicle. Fortunately for him, there were no other patrons nearby at the time - but he says he was really reluctant to put it back into his inside-the-waistband holster after that!



Peter

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the many reasons I prefer a shoulder holster!

Sevesteen said...

I've said elsewhere that I'm pretty dubious about this story--The Kahr in question is a DAO gun, and I'm pretty sure it is inherently drop safe. It is more likely he was fiddling with the gun, or tried to catch it when it dropped.

I leave my gun holstered when using the facilities--With the right belt and holster it is a non-issue.

Anonymous said...

I would agree with Sevesteen. I almost chose the Kahr as my carry tool, so I have to think that the only way it would fire is if the trigger is pulled. Whenever possible, I take my rig off my belt and use the butt gasket holder to secure it.

Course I have to think that the negligent discharge of his firearm led to an ACCIDENTAL discharge of his own!

Steve

Crucis said...

Hmmm, what .40 pistol can be fired by dropping it? An older revolver perhaps, but a modern semi-auto pistol? Something "smells!" :-)

I don't have this problem with my S&W M442 and pocket holster.