Monday, April 6, 2009

Safely home


I got in this evening from Alaska, basking in the local temperature of 67° - a pleasant change from the 28° at Anchorage airport last night! Everyone else here is shivering and complaining that it's a cold snap, compared to our normal spring temperatures of high 70's to low 80's, but believe me, after snow and ice, it's positively balmy!

I had a great time in the frozen North. Alaskan people are absolutely charming, in my limited experience of them - a real frontier society, with a great deal of emphasis on self-reliance, get-up-and-go determination, and none (at least none that I saw) of the reliance on the 'welfare State' that seems to plague those States further South. I enjoyed my stay, and look forward to returning there sometime soon.

Blogging will get back to normal over the next couple of days.

Peter

4 comments:

Julie said...

glad to hear you're home safely.

Karina Fabian said...

Welcome home!

I know what you mean about temperatures. It's in the 40s on Minot, and we're all in sweatshirts at most. I've even seen kids shoveling the snow in bare feet.

Vern and Gater Louie wanted me to pass on that they are looking forward to their interview. If you didn't get the file, e-mail me.

Blessings,
Karina

John R said...

Welcome home. Glad you made it back w/o any appendages froze off.

Rev. Paul said...

It's always a relief to get home after a long trip. I'm glad you liked it here - and it's to 39 today. Spring is early!