Thursday, October 15, 2009

Technology explained - by a pickle!


Since we seem to be on a tech-heavy slant tonight, with earlier comments about the Large Hadron Collider, I guess we can include a rather eye-opening description of the new OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) technology, just arriving in commercial products.

I've read about these things, but been a bit fuzzy about how they worked. Now MIT Professor Vladimir Bulovic explains them, using - of all things - a common pickle (!) to show how they generate their own light, needing no back-lighting from other sources (such as conventional LCD displays).





That's pretty amazing! I'd never have thought of the common pickle as a tool for explaining electronics, that's for sure!

Peter

3 comments:

Hankh said...

Very interesting; I always enjoy your posts. Glad to have you back in the saddle, and I'll continue to pray for your full recovery.

HankH

Anonymous said...

I have a cellphone which I bought several years ago which had three or four OLED blinkies on the cover, but this is the first time I've seen it used in a high-resolution display like that.

As an aside, if that guy is making a living electrocuting pickles, then I think I am in entirely the wrong field.

Jim

Loren said...

Problem is, glowing pickles stink really bad. But I'm sure that fact could make some bad puns by the punmaster.