Wednesday, October 21, 2009

To protect and serve - until we win!


It seems a police unit in Hungary has something on its mind other than public service.

A town's entire police force has quit in Hungary after winning more than £10 million [over US $16.4 million] in the lottery.

The 15-strong squad in Budaors scooped the jackpot with their ticket on Tuesday and all resigned on the spot.

Police chiefs have scrambled back-up units to the region until more full-time officers can be recruited.


Of course, given that the winnings are probably the equivalent of more than ten years' salary for each of them, I daresay most of us would have done likewise!



Peter

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

I would at least have given two weeks notice... :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Old NFO.
I would have given two weeks notice. At least, that is the norm here in America. What is the norm for giving notice in Hungary? Assuming that there is one.

Either way, I would be OUTTA THERE!

B Woodman
III-per

Diamond Mair said...

OK, Folks, but - U.S. military members are discharged {no 'maybes' - they're OUT} if they win/inherit $1,000,000.00 or more ................... granted, the discharge process lasts a bit o'time, but still ................... when I find another job, should I 'hit' for an amount that would take care of us for the rest of our lives, I'm afraid I'd tell my employer {unless they were really, REALLY GREAT} "Color me GONE!" ;-)

Semper Fi'
DM

Chip said...

In the US you have to resign that day or someone will trump some crap and sue you for every dollar you won

Chris in SE TX said...

Peter,
I have been reading your blog from the very beginning and found out few days ago about your recent "visit" to the hospital. Glad to see you're back on line! Hope everything is going well. Don't let a little pump problem get you down! LOL