Thursday, May 27, 2010

The 'little ships' get under way


A couple of days ago I wrote about the 70th anniversary celebrations of the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940, resulting in the rescue of most of the British Army in the face of certain destruction at the hands of the advancing German Wehrmacht.

The commemoration is in full swing at present. This morning a flotilla of surviving 'little ships' set off from Ramsgate to Dunkirk. Here's a news report.







A couple of days earlier, a reception was held for survivors of the 1940 evacuation. Here's coverage from British Forces News.







Congratulations to all involved, particularly the surviving men and ships from 1940. We have not forgotten, and do not forget you.

Peter

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home on the Range said...

That was my comment, I really should not spell before 5 am.

My Dad served in WWII. Brave man (even more so for adopting me and my brother when he was already retired).

Our veterans deserve our highest praise and thanks. The WWII vets, thank goodness, are getting the recognition that all deserve.