Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blogorado: so far, so good


I made it into Denver this evening, loaded umpteen gun cases and other boxes, bags and bits onto a luggage cart, wheeled it to my hotel room, and sat on the bed, wheezing, gasping, clutching my chest and wondering if I was having another heart attack. No . . . I'd forgotten that Denver is 5,500-odd feet above sea level! When I'd regained my breath, I had a good chuckle at myself.

I must admit, though, two days of eleven to twelve hours on the road are a bit much for me now. I can handle one, and I can handle several days if it's an eight-hour-per-day pace; but two long days leave my back in a nasty state. I've de-kinked it in the hotel whirlpool tonight (blessed invention!). Thanks, too, to Crucis and his wife for their very welcome hospitality last night, breaking the journey in half. It was great to meet another blogger who until now has been an electronic friend, but is now one in meatspace as well. (That goes for their two cats too . . . very friendly, and very insistent if you aren't stroking or scritching hard enough or in the right place!)

I'll pick up Miss D. and Oleg at the airport in the morning, and we'll head down to Blogorado in the south-eastern corner of Colorado for a long weekend of shooting, eating, drinking, socializing and general laid-backness. It's a tough job, I know, but someone has to do it . . .



Peter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't experienced it recently, but I had a day once when I'd gotten to the mountains after a summer a lot closer to sea level, where I was quite hypoxic indeed. I'm glad the police didn't toss my meandering butt in the drunk tank!

I'm glad to hear the trip is going well, I have a feeling that there is a very good time brewing!

Jim

Keads said...

Good for you! I look forward to field reports post haste!

K.

Christina RN LMT said...

You are going to have so much fun! I guarantee it...and envy you. :D

Shrimp said...

I wish I had known in advance of your arrival in Denver. I'd have been pleased as peaches to meet you in person.

Anonymous said...

The air is a lot thicker where you are going. And it would be almost home to me.

Alas, the lady I married thinks anything north of Memphis and west of the Mississippi is unfit for human habitation. So I don't get to go home much any more.

Stranger