Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fire-fighter training FAIL!


I remember my fire-fighting training in the South African armed forces. It was very realistic, including setting buildings and portions of ships and vehicles on fire, then having to extinguish them. More than a few of us collapsed from heat exhaustion and/or smoke inhalation, or suffered superficial burns, during the training. Our instructors were unsympathetic. They always told us, "If you get a little bit hurt now, you'll respect the fire that much more, and be more careful in fighting the real thing". Whether or not that was a wise attitude or approach, I can't say . . . but we sure learned!

Anyway, this video demonstrates that at least one New York State fire department appeared to adopt a similar approach to their training.







I note from the commentary that they've since decided to no longer use accelerants in training. Why am I not surprised?





Peter

7 comments:

Rich said...

They do the same thing here in Maine, only without the explosions (grin).

tpmoney said...

One has to wonder why it didn't occur to anyone that if the camera man from that distance could smell gas, that maybe this might be a bit more dangerous than they were expecting.

skidmark said...

A fire department unaware of fuel-air explosions? How droll.

stay safe.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet they know what a FAE is now...

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

--Wes S.

Rick in NY said...

Using diesel fuel or kerosene would have been just fine, neither of those explodes as a vapor.

Using gasoline.... DUH! They're lucky they're all alive.

eviltwin2 said...

NFPA standards prohibit the use of chemical accelerants for luve burns. If you use them, you're going against the standard and can be civilly liable when you f-up.

Also, they spread the gas in the basement, then went to lunch. While they were at lunch the fumes built up and when they came back............

My department and just about every other one has sen the unedited complete video and read the investigators report.

Rule is: Live burn, NO ACCELERANTS!

KA9VSZ said...

Just my luck. When the US Navy trained me, I got to work in the mess while my fellow swabbies played firefighter. I miss all the good stuff. Naturally, I was assigned to the in-port fire party when I came aboard a real ship...