Thursday, November 4, 2010

Muggers meet their match


It's nice to read of a couple of lowlifes being handed their come-uppance.

Muggers who tried to rob a woman walking home at night were forced to flee when their intended victim turned out to be a former world kickboxing champion.

Two burly men in hoods pounced on Sophie Pittaway in St Peter's Street, Islington as she was texting on her iPhone. They beat her about the head and tried to force her to the floor.

But the 38-year-old fitness trainer fought back with a volley of punches and kicks mastered in two decades of martial arts training. Ms Pittaway, who runs the KICK gym and yoga space in Hoxton, was attacked as she returned home from a party at 11.15pm last Thursday.

“I didn't really notice them approach me because I was texting, which is a stupid thing to do in the street late at night,” she said. “They obviously wanted my iPhone and just started hitting me in the head and neck and pushing me down. My instinct must have kicked in because I got back on my feet and fought back, which no doubt surprised them.

“I was a bit dazed from the blow to the head, so by the time I was really awake to what was happening, one of them had already run off up the road and I was jostling with the other one.

“My mobile was on the floor and I wanted to pick it up but if I had he could have stuck a knife in my back.

“My training meant I was able to think on my feet and I decided to let him go for the phone, then I gave him a few moves, kicks and so on, and chased them both off up the road until I was safe."


There's more at the link.

I bet the two hoodlums' buddies won't let them live that one down in a hurry . . . certainly not until well after their bruises have faded!





Peter

No comments: