Monday, December 20, 2010

I love happy endings - but this was very lucky, too!


A woman in Kansas City, Missouri, nearly lost her life when her former boyfriend opened fire on her - but she was saved by a most unusual device!

Briana Bonds, 20, was in her car in a convenience store parking lot when a man flagged her down and told her that her ex-boyfriend still loved her.

She replied, "Well I don't love him," then Banks says she heard gunshots as her ex-boyfriend, Juan Kemp, allegedly opened fire from behind the second vehicle.

. . .

"In the back of my head, it was like bam!" said Bonds. "That's how it felt. It was hot, you could feel it."

Bonds sped away from the store to another parking lot where she called police, who found the 40-caliber slug tangled in her hair. Police say that her weave prevented it from penetrating her skull.

"One of (the bullets) hit the back of my head. Luckily, it didn't go through because the back of my wig," said Bonds. "My wig had stopped it. It was hanging in my hair. It was about this small scrunched up."

"I've been wearing it for years. I've invested a lot of money into this weave," said Bonds. "It saved my life. It saved my life."


There's more at the link.

I'd assume that the bullet lost some of its velocity when it penetrated the car's window and/or bodywork; but even so, that's a remarkable escape! I think I might want to learn who did her hair. He or she might make a dandy emergency body armor supplier in an emergency!



Of course, it would have been even better had Ms. Bonds been able to return her former boyfriend's criminal violence with legitimate defensive violence of her own. There's nothing that deters criminals more than reading about how others of their ilk have come to sticky ends. Grouchy Old Cripple posted this video by the Tiger Valley firearms training facility that makes the point.







That's the way to do it . . .

Peter

2 comments:

suz said...

Great video! That IS the way to do it.

Crucis said...

Peter, about that woman in KC. It was a hoax. The story ran for a couple of weeks. Then when it was discovered to be a hoax the media dropped it and never made a retraction.

Figgers for the KC Red Star. I'd hoped the TV stations would be more truthful. If it weren't talk radio and some cops who called in, no one would know it was a hoax.

The radio news reported the hoax but I never heard it anywhere else.

mw