Sunday, January 23, 2011

The house where the walls wriggle???


I couldn't help a shudder of distaste reading this report.

An Idaho home that has been infested with thousands of snakes for at least five years has been put up for sale for $66,000 less than its estimated market value after the recent owners gave up and walked away.

The five-bedroom home in Rexburg, Idaho was taken over last year by the lender, Chase Bank, after the owners left and let it lapse into foreclosure because of the serpents slithering around in the ceilings and walls.

The residents are believed to be common garter snakes, a type found throughout the United States. They are not poisonous and are harmless to humans.

"It's not a problem; it's an infestation," said Todd Davis, associate broker with Realty Quest in Rexburg, who is trying to sell the home. "It's been a horrible experience."

With snake numbers estimated by a pest inspector to be in the thousands, Davis said selling the house for $109,000 -- which compares to an estimated value of $175,000 -- is likely to be an uphill battle.

. . .

"I think the snakes got into a spot and decided to make it their home, now they've invited all their friends," he said.

. . .

"I guess I need a snake lover; either that or someone with multiple mongooses," said Davis.


There's more at the link. Here's a video report about the house.







Good luck finding a buyer for that place! I can't imagine living in a place where I might find creepy-crawlies in my bed in the small hours of the morning . . . I guess it's a house only a herpetologist could love!





Peter

3 comments:

suz said...

Not going to watch the video. I like snakes, but not THAT much! They can stay outside.

Anonymous said...

My brother and I caught 60 plus garter snakes one spring morning and brought them home in a pillow case to show my NYC born and raise mom.

She was not impressed.

Gerry

Sam said...

I'd buy it but then I like snakes. Garter snakes are both pretty and harmless and I wouldn't have an issue with them being around. But then, maybe I'm just weird!