Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A porcupine that thinks it's a puppy???


Via a link at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, I was led to these two video clips of Snickers the porcupine. The first video makes me think he has an identity crisis . . . he's playing with his keepers like he thinks he's a puppy!







In this second clip, he's enjoying his favorite food.







All together, now: Awwww!



Peter

(P.S. - I was intrigued to read that the North American Porcupine is understood to have "rafted across the Atlantic from Africa to Brazil over 30 million years ago, and then invaded North America during the Great American Interchange after the Isthmus of Panama rose 3 million years ago". I know the Cape Porcupine from Southern Africa, and I'd noted some similarities between that species and the North American variety. I'd love to know how the latter's ancestors 'rafted across the Atlantic' . . . must have been a hell of a journey!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That might be the damnedest thing I've ever seen. I hope the dogs don't get nosy!

Jim

randompawses said...

Too cute! Thanks for sharing the videos! I've never seen a porcupine up close before - who could resist that sweet face? (Although the long orange teeth could be a little off-putting.)

SpeakerTweaker said...

"A porcupine that thinks it's a puppy???"

A porcupuppy?

;)

Too cute. I always thought the spikey parts were much more rigid. When she was stroking his(?) back, the quills moved more like hair.

Still, you don't what that cuddling up on the couch with you. I know what my dog does when someone knocks on the door...



tweaker

Jenny said...

pudgyCUTE!!!!!!!

Sam said...

Really cute but ... how on earth is he going to survive in the wild? Unless they are going to keep him at the centre? And is that ethical? I have real reservations about taming up wild animals ...

Kelly McCrady said...

@SpeakerTweaker: the actual quills are stiff. They are also only 1 1/2 - 2 inches long and are buried within the dark, fluffy fur. The long, yellowish hairs all around the body are called guard hairs. If the porky is sleeping, any movement around those hairs alerts the porky and muscles under the skin will pull the quills upright. The portion of dark hair above the tail is the easiest place to view the upright quills when they're raised, and the porky backs toward an enemy, swiping it's tail quickly like a club. I used to be a zookeeper working with porcupines, and I got nailed really good in the hand one day--ouch! The porky in this video is relaxed and happy, so no need to raise his quills. They do shed quills often and I find myself worried one or two will fall on that carpeting and get stuck LOL