Friday, July 1, 2011

Verizon Wireless - world's worst customer service???


A couple of months ago, Miss D. and I entered into a service contract with Verizon Wireless, to get her a smartphone and me a simpler unit, and have the convenience of free mobile-to-mobile calling.

Prior to today, I believed it was impossible for worse customer service than AT&T's to exist anywhere in the world. After the trials and tribulations of the past few hours, I can honestly say that Verizon Wireless has done the impossible. They actually offer worse, more frustrating and less comprehensible customer service than AT&T ever did! I don't know how they did it - it can only be the result of years of effort! - but they succeeded.

I'm now seriously considering ditching our contract with Verizon, and paying the associated penalty, just so as to be free of the aggravation of having to deal with them. I'm certainly advising Miss D. to pay whatever it costs to use an alternative service provider for a few weeks, rather than incur yet more frustration trying to get Verizon to make a simple adjustment to our plan.

If you're looking for a cellular telephone service provider, I can only recommend in the strongest possible terms that you avoid Verizon Wireless as you would the plague. I wouldn't wish the frustration of trying to deal with their Customer Service Department on my worst enemy!





Peter

6 comments:

Canthros said...

IME, most service-related stuff can be handled through their website, and the rest through a storefront. I've had pretty good luck dealing with their brick-and-mortar sales outfits.

I've had to deal with their phone service goons on two occasions. On the first, I was presented with information that was misleading or incomplete. On the second (a direct result of the first: I switched plans mid-month, and wound up with a bill that was larger than paying for both plans for the whole period), I was accused of 'abusing' their service. So, I don't call about things if I can help it.

PMGeuze said...

If you don't like Verizon, I would recommend that you Google articles about how to use the recent change in contracts that requires you to opt out. If you do opt out, you can cancel the contract without the penalty. I believe that if you got your contract before July you have until the end of July to do so.

Mark@Bismarck said...

The company I work for is a Verizon "representative" store. We are a small independat communications company. We get ALOT of frustrated customers that come into our place after having tried to deal with the coporate store or deal with Verizon on the phone. We've fixed countless billing errors, advised people on different plans and options to them over the years. Our clients become fiercly loyal and send their friends and family to us on a regular basis. We've had the corporate people try to take away some of our larger commercial account when they started to make us too much money, but we've had the lowest rate of customer turn over in a three state area for years. Verizon's customer service is a an oxymoron and there is no denying it.

Dave H said...

I've been a Verizon Wireless customer for six years and see no reason to switch. Any service I need, I either get online or at a company store. My two biggest beefs are their nickel-and-dime approach to upgrading a phone and the fact that their Web sites all look like they were coded by monekys.

Anonymous said...

As of yesterday I believe, Verizon changed their contract. I think you now have 60 days to reject the new terms and escape your contract with no penalty! Look into it immediately.

Old NFO said...

I wouldn't use Verizon if they were the LAST phone company on earth... They suck!!! And yes, I had a bad experience with them that lasted SIX months with no resolution! They sent me to collections, even though I had a letter from Verizon that I had in fact PAID MY BILL IN FULL!!!