Today's winners - or, in this case, definitely losers! - come from Australia.
Two men are fighting for their lives following an explosion in a backyard in Melbourne’s south-east.
A police spokeswoman said the men, both aged in their 20s, were "burying a cylinder or metal container of mixed chemicals" when the explosion occurred at the house on Currawong Grove, Cannons Creek.
An Ambulance Victoria spokesman described the scene as horrific. Both men had to be placed into an induced coma at the scene because of critical injuries before being flown to Melbourne. At lunchtime today, both remained in a critical condition.
It's believed a 24-year-old Pakenham man had both his legs blown off in the blast.
He also suffered blast injuries to his hands and burns to his face and airways in the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
A 23-year-old Cannons Creek man suffered burns to his face, arms and airways and is in The Alfred hospital.
Paramedic Ben Meadley likened the injuries to those normally seen on battlefields.
. . .
Police say the men were mixing the chemicals in their backyard in front of family and friends at the time of the explosion. 3AW has reported the chemicals were brake fluid and chlorine.
Neighbour Judy Gibbs said the explosion shook her house.
"I'd gone to bed and next minute there was this great, big, loud explosion - the windows in my house shook, the whole house shook," she told ABC radio.
There's more at the link.
I can hardly believe the stupidity of people who do this sort of thing, but they're all over the world, as far too many accidents like this demonstrate. To illustrate what happens when you combine brake fluid and chlorine, please take a look at the video clip below.
Now imagine a large, sealed metal container, holding in that chemical reaction until the metal couldn't contain it any longer. Talk about an instant bomb! No wonder one man's legs were blown off. Doofi indeed!
Why do I suspect that the words "Here, hold my beer and watch this!" formed part of the entertainment?