Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"How terribly strange to be 70 . . . "


That line from Simon and Garfunkel's song 'Old Friends', from their fourth studio album 'Bookends', sums up my reaction when I found out today that both Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel had turned 70 years old during the past couple of months. Seventy years old??? Dammit, I grew up listening to their music and singing along with it! I even performed it a few times in front of an audience! Simon and Garfunkel, seventy years old? It doesn't make sense!

Anyway, in tribute to the timeless beauty of their music, here's a song from each of their five studio albums. First up is the original version of 'Sounds Of Silence' from their album 'Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.'.







Next, here's 'April Come She Will' from their second album, 'Sounds Of Silence'.







Here's 'For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her' from their third album, 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme'.







Next we have the song from which I drew the title of this article, 'Old Friends', from their fourth album, 'Bookends'.







Finally, here's the song that I personally consider their masterpiece, 'The Boxer', from their fifth and last album together, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.







Thanks for the memories, friends. I still can't believe you're seventy! Terribly strange, indeed . . . and I guess I'm getting older too.

Peter

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... Yep, WE are getting old too... Some GOOD memories go with those songs!

Anonymous said...

My Mom said that "you know you are getting old when the rockers from your youth are falling and breaking their hips." As I value my life and liberty, I will not name the rocker who inspired that quote!

LittleRed1

trailbee said...

71 (German war baby) with a head full of memories and frustration. Testing the EAS today, which scares the crap out of me.If Bush or even Clinton had tested it, I wouldn't care, but Obummer? NOT! Are we peddling backwards, kicking and screaming? Scared.

trailbee said...

The Boxer? All-time best. :)

Anonymous said...

Sound of Silence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUsYibbNe4

Crosby And Nash Will Play For Occupy Wall Street Protesters http://gothamist.com/2011/11/08/crosby_and_nash_will_play_for_occup.php

Roger Owen Green said...

Here's my blogpost re S&G. And for good measure, solo Simon.