Friday, November 18, 2011

That's one way to reduce your urban footprint!


Someone used creativity (and a hacksaw) to produce this novel set of wheels.







I want to know what they did with the engine! A VW Beetle's engine sits in the center of the rear compartment. Judging by the side and rear view of that half-Beetle, it's not there any more - so where is it?



Peter

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks to some footwork by reader HeroHog, the mystery of the half-Beetle has been solved. Click here for the details.

8 comments:

Rich said...

I think they put in a much smaller engine in the regular place.

I don't think that thing needs more than 10hp. It's not going on the highway (I HOPE).

showhank said...

looks like a Photoshop job to me. Look at :20, the car almost looks translucent from the side.

Bryan Reavis said...

@Showhank
That's because it is. Looks like the cut side has been fared-over with Lexan.

I still don't see an engine though. Nor an exhaust pipe. I wonder if it's got an electric motor or if it's perhaps gravity driven.

Jerry said...

I was thinking electric also. Looks like batteries in the front compartment.

bruce said...

great way to "fix" a car that has had a mishap on one side.

Mikael said...

Well, you can hear it puttering, so I don't think it's an electric engine, I'm thinking go-cart engine, or small motorcycle / scooter engine.

It looks cute, but I can't help thinking it would be terrible to drive when it's raining! One side completely open to the weather.

HeroHog said...

the answer!
http://vimeo.com/10698610
Google is your friend!

bruce said...

after watching them mutilate a really pretty bug, I take it back, the guy is an idiot.