Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A musical blast from the past


Readers may be familiar with the 'Concert for George'. It was held at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England, on November 29th, 2002, one year after the death of Beatle George Harrison, to honor his memory and his music. Harrison's wife Olivia organized the concert, which saw appearances from many top musicians such as Eric Clapton (a close friend of George Harrison's), Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi Shankar, Ringo Starr, and more. Harrison's son Dhani appeared on stage as well, his first major musical exposure (he's since gone on to build his own career in music).

I came across some video clips from the concert yesterday, and bookmarked a few for background music while doing other things. This morning I found the clip below: Eric Clapton playing lead guitar, and Paul McCartney on keyboard, performing Harrison's composition 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. Dhani Harrison plays acoustic guitar next to Clapton, and can be seen on several occasions. It's a wonderful piece of music, and Clapton's guitar solo is magnificent, so I thought I'd share it with you too. Turn up the volume, kick back, and enjoy!







Ah, the memories that brings back . . .

Peter

7 comments:

Shell said...

Rest assured, Peter, that I am not comparing the solo guitarists in the videos when I say that this performance of the same song, from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tribute to George in 2004, is worth a listen. First because it's a grand performance and second because it features a marvelous guitar solo by Prince. Yes, *that* Prince. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoR6YQ1V8ks

Erik said...

You missed Ringo on the drums.

Anonymous said...

I have this song on an iPod I use when I exersise. My wife laughs because it one of a very few I sing a long with.

Ringo was really working up a sweat on the drums wasn't he! LMAO.

Gerry

Rev. Paul said...

That takes me back. Thank you.

JD(not the one with the picture) said...

Clapton is DOG! Sorry, I'm dyslexic.

Old NFO said...

That is an outstanding clip, and I do remember it... sigh

SiGraybeard said...

Outstanding. And Dhani looks a lot like his dad.

I remember reading that Clapton had played the lead on the original White Album version, and that John Lennon had walked out - refusing to play on that song. The Wiki entry says John is there.