Wednesday, January 4, 2012

You won't believe your eyes!


Reader Mike B. sent me the link to this video clip from Finland. In the few hours since he did so, its views have gone from 2,736 to (at the time of writing) 531,671! I guess that's what they call "going viral" . . .

Watch it for yourself, and see whether you can figure out what they're doing, and how they did it. I highly recommend watching it in full-screen mode. I'll explain more below.







I don't want to put the explanation immediately below the video, for the benefit of those still thinking about it: so please scroll down . . .

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

The camera is being held upside-down. When it looks as if the air bubbles are falling, or being 'poured', they're not - they're actually rising. Same with the divers - they're inverted in the water, which is easy enough for them, being weightless when submerged. The wheelbarrow is supported against the ice above it by the air inside it (it's also inverted, of course): and when the diver 'pours' the air from it, that air actually rises, causing the wheelbarrow to sink - but because of the inverted camera, it looks like the opposite is happening.

Clever and cute!





Peter

7 comments:

Redneck said...

The bubble sgave it away fairly quickly, but I still couldn't stop watching. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Everything's inverted and an illusion.

Sort of like what happen in America after Obama was elected.

Navy91 said...

One of the neatest thing I've seen in a long time!!

Mikael said...

Very obvious how it was done, but also quite clever and effectful. Thumbs up.

And brrrr, that water is COLD. In addition to the gear they use, I'd not want to go in without full face mask(freezing water on the face is not a nice experience... I've dived when it was 7-8 degrees celsius, and that water is even colder).

Old NFO said...

Cool, and yeah bubbles don't lie :-)

trailbee said...

Very clever. I loved watching it and wondered about the cold, cold world. Thanks, Toejam! :)

Evyl Robot Michael said...

I'm still obsessing over the loss of a good wheelbarrow. LOL!