Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Politics. Corruption. But I repeat myself . . .


I don't think I could find a more perfect metaphor to illustrate how corrupt and self-serving US politicians have become than a recent development in Murphysboro, Illinois.  It seems that an election board there (staffed by Democratic Party operatives) has disqualified four Republicans from the ballot in November.  Their reason?  Because the candidates used paper clips instead of staples when they submitted their filings to the board.

This may be politics on a very small local scale, but such imbecility is symptomatic of what's wrong with our entire political setup.  I don't think I've ever heard a more farcical, stupid rationale for disqualifying candidates from an election.  I should be outraged . . . but this is Illinois, after all, home of the 'Chicago Machine'.  Nor am I overly upset that the perpetrators of this farce are Democrats - after all, Illinois Republicans have been just as guilty of political malfeasance whenever they thought they could get away with it.  (I'd ask former Republican Governor George Ryan to confirm that, but I doubt he'll be able to read these words in the prison cell he's occupied since 2007 after being convicted on corruption charges.)

Remember in November.  If you aren't sure how to vote, vote against the incumbent.  I daresay you won't go far wrong by following that principle.





Peter

No comments: