Thursday, December 20, 2012

Doofus Of The Day #669

Today's winner comes from Australia.  A tip o' the hat to reader Snoggeramus for sending me the link.

An employee on his first day of work inadvertently contributed to a superior having his fingers chopped off.

. . .

The supervisor, who had almost 20 years' experience in the workplace, was a safety and health representative and regularly trained new employees.

Despite the supervisor's awareness of instructions for the use of the machine, he raised the machine's finger guards and reached in with bare hands to dislodge a piece of metal that had become wedged.

As a result of a misunderstanding between the supervisor and the worker being trained, the worker depressed the foot pedal while the supervisor's hand was in the press.

The ram came down, trapping the supervisor's right hand and severing his index and middle fingers.

There's more at the link.

Despite how it might first appear, the award doesn't go to the man who actually did the cutting;  it goes to the supervisor, who put himself at risk despite knowing better!  Talk about asking for trouble . . .


No comments: