Friday, August 16, 2013

Tired puppy


It's been a long day of writing and editing.  I really don't have the energy to compose multiple blog posts right now, so instead I'll invite you to enjoy this short documentary about the stunning rise to prominence of so-called 'hip-hop violinist' Lindsey Stirling (whom we've met in these pages before).





It's quite a story . . . and she's quite a musician.  I loathe hip-hop as a genre, but she's the exception to my rule, if you know what I mean.

Sleep well, y'all.  I'll put up more posts in the morning.

Peter

4 comments:

The Great and Powerful Oz said...

Why can't violists ever get any good press? It's rank discrimination!

Anonymous said...

If you'd rather there is always Mark Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdHB0AWVQT8

for the record, there are seven strings on his violin.
.

Old NFO said...

DO what you gotta Peter, we'll be around!

Unknown said...

O, Great and Powerful Oz, violists will get their long-deferred recognitions any day (year? decade? generation?) now.

Considering some of the folks who hang around in the American Viola Society, their instrument can't remain obscure forever.

Seriously though, I'd truly like to see viola start getting some traction in popular music. That's one of the reasons why it's my primary instrument. I love it when people ask "What the [BLEEP] kind of fiddle is that?"

Having inflicted that brief(?) digression on this thread, I will say that Lindsey Stirling is a complete hoot to watch and listen to, and I'm glad she's succeeding in the vocation she so obviously loves.