Saturday, January 25, 2014

Workin', like a workin' man do . . .


So I keep on workin'
Like a workin' man do
I need to buy my baby shoes
I keep on workin'
Oh, it's the only thing to do
I make my livin' by the sweat of my brow
Oh, workin' just like you

Those lyrics from Lynyrd Skynyrd's song (aptly titled " Workin' ") just about describe my writing life over the past couple of months.  In November I mentioned that I'd delayed the release of my next novel in order to improve its characterization and other aspects.  I've been hard at it, and I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.

To give my readers some idea of what I've been doing, I wrote a guest article for Sarah Hoyt.  She published it on her blog this morning.  Nip over there and read it for an 'inside' look at the trials and tribulations of many newbie authors who (like me) have to learn the trade as they go along.  (We can't all be Hemingways or Grishams or Micheners from birth, you know!)

I hope to have Maxwell Volume 3 ready by the end of the first week in February, all other things being equal.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Peter

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Good post over there at S. Hoyt's place.

I think one tidbit of knowledge I gleaned in Fire Dept management courses was that you can't do everything you want, all at once. But every time you get a chance to make a change, go in the direction of what you wanted. Bit by bit, you'll get there.

That would apply to character growth as well, I think. Sometimes a timely retreat is the best outcome one can achieve, when faced with overwhelming odds - no matter how good one might be.