Wednesday, August 13, 2014

In Memoriam: Lauren Bacall


I was sad to read that the woman I always regarded as the sexiest movie star ever, Lauren Bacall, died yesterday.  She was 89 years old.

To me, she seemed to represent all that was quintessentially classic about Hollywood, utterly feminine, sultry, sexy, yet unattainable.  She was (to me, at least) unique even among her peers in the hierarchy of stardom.  From her classic movies with Humphrey Bogart to her later solo efforts, she dominated the screen.

I can't adequately describe her in words.  I'll let the final scene of her debut movie, 'To Have And Have Not', say it all.  Click over there to see it for yourself.

Peter

5 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

She was really something, I read her books, what a time she had.

JaneofVirginia said...

My mother's favorite actress was Lauren Bacall. My mother has long since passed, and as I hear and read about Ms.Bacall, I am reminded of my mother's preferences in hairstyle and in dress. The world is a less colorful and less beautiful place without both of them.

Old NFO said...

I have two words- Class act.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed her role in John Wayne's last movie "The Shootist". Yep, she was a good actress and very attractive. RIP Ms. Bacall.

PapaMAS said...

She was one of the actresses who showed a very young me what a woman should be: strong, intelligent, and very feminine.