Friday, October 3, 2014

I can haz happy tummy . . .


Following recommendations from some commenters here and others, Miss D. and I went to Ribs And Reds for supper tonight.  The food was outstanding!  A big 'Thank you' from both of us to all who recommended the restaurant.

We began with gumbo (for my wife) and popcorn shrimp (for me).  Frankly, I can't remember ever seeing so many shrimp in a starter - great value for money - and they were perfectly cooked, accompanied by two dipping sauces.  Miss D.'s gumbo reminded us of the best of New Orleans, spiced and seasoned in just the right way.

She followed that with the restaurant's justly famous 'Ribs & Reds' combo;  a half-rack of BBQ ribs (melt-off-the-bone good) and half a dozen 'royal red' shrimp (which remind me of outsize crawfish rather than shrimp).



(Image courtesy of Key West Seafood Direct)


They were accompanied by lemon slices, melted butter, corn on the cob and potatoes.  I had a goodly slice of prime rib, accompanied by mashed potatoes and gravy and a salad.  We exchanged bites of each other's food, as all good couples do, and noshed down to our heart's content.  Miss D. had to bring home part of her ribs, being too full to finish them.  She's talking about breakfast tomorrow morning, but since I normally get up a few hours before her . . .


We followed it with a shared bowl of strawberry shortcake for dessert.  Overall, I'd rate the meal and the service as 4½ out of 5 stars.  We definitely plan on going back there again soon.  (However, since there are dozens of highly-rated restaurants within a 10-mile drive of our rented condo, I daresay we'll find other good ones too!)

I'll post more later.  Right now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some digesting to do.  It's good to be on holiday . . .

Peter

5 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Do leave a bite or two for Miss D. 'Twouldn't be good to eat all of it before she gets up.

Besides, your tummy will thank you.

Anonymous said...

*looks at bowl of branstuff-n-skim milk. Looks at screen. Looks at branstuff again. Considers rude comment about people who post pictures of luscious food. Decides against*

Looks wonderful! I'm glad y'all are having fun. :)

LittleRed1

Old NFO said...

Yep, you're going to put on weight down there... :-)

Mad Jack said...

If I weren't so sick, I'd be envious. Well, I'm still envious. I love shrimp, crawfish, ribs and spuds. All that.

Kentucky Packrat said...

It is 39 degrees here in Kentucky, and the frost warnings are out. This sticks.

I am too young to be a snowbird, but it won't stop me from wishing I could be one. :)