Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunday morning music


I think it's time for a little classical music.  How about Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto?  This performance is by Sayaka Shoji, performing last year during the international music festival, "Stars on the Baikal", held in Irkutsk, Russia.  The Saint Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra is conducted by Yuri Temirkanov.

Ms. Shoji plays a Stradivarius violin made in 1729.  I chose this recording because the video shows her technique very well, and provides close-up views of the instrument.  (She also performs a short, quirky encore after the concerto, which I found amusing.)





I've never had the privilege of seeing Ms. Shoji perform in person, but if I ever get the chance, I'll be there.

Peter

2 comments:

Roger said...

Magnificent!

Old NFO said...

Beautiful, and that encore was 'interesting'! :-)