This is an "omnibus post" to draw together threads from various earlier report-backs and clarify the situation for those interested. If you don't want to know, that's OK. Go read the bloggers in the sidebar.
Regular readers will know that for the past three years or so, I've been battling some very debilitating medical issues. One was resolved (after five hospital procedures) with the removal of my right kidney last year. The remaining kidney seems to be working just fine, for which I'm duly grateful!
The other problem is proving much, much more difficult to resolve. Briefly, more than 22 years ago I suffered an injury to my spine. A discectomy didn't work, so the vertebrae involved had to be fused. Unfortunately, the injury (aggravated by almost half a year's delay in getting initial surgery, thanks to bureaucratic fumbling) resulted in permanent damage to my left sciatic nerve. Since then, I've had limited mobility (sometimes very limited) and been in pain 24/7/365. I've mostly kept it under control through some pretty strong pain medication, but that doesn't always work. I've learned to grit my teeth through the bad days, and carry on regardless.
About three years ago I became aware of a steady increase in pain levels in my lower back, and more frequent difficulties with nerve pain in my left leg. Over the past couple of years I've undergone multiple CT scans, neurological examinations and other tests, but could never get doctors to agree on precisely what the problem was and/or what should be done (particularly whether a given procedure would solve all my problems, or require other procedures to deal with some of them). Eventually, in sheer frustration, a couple of months ago I asked for my case to be referred to a top neurosurgeon in Dallas, to ask for his opinion.
Well . . . I've received his opinion, and I don't like it (not that complaining helps - it's about as much use as farting against thunder). Basically, he says that yes, several of my lumbar vertebrae need attention. However, since the exact issues affecting my pain, mobility, etc. can't be accurately determined, the vertebrae involved should not be fused until that is known, because surgery could not be guaranteed to fix things. Lacking such certainty, other treatment options should be pursued.
All right, then. We move on to dealing with the symptoms until such time as we can more precisely define the cause. I've been consulting a pain management specialist for some months, and will discuss the neurosurgeon's opinion and future options with him on Friday. I don't want to increase my present dosage of (opioid) pain medication, but I may not have much choice in the matter in the short term.
There are three problems needing to be fixed, or at least alleviated.
- The damaged nerve in my left leg, and its root in the (compressed) spinal cord, are affecting my balance to an ever greater extent. I've always been slightly unsteady on my feet since my injury, but over the past couple of years this has gotten worse. I now have to use a walking stick to cover anything other than short distances, in case the nerve "shorts out" for a second or two and dumps me on the ground. Thank heavens for shopping carts - without them, I couldn't walk around a supermarket for long. I've had a couple of bad falls, most recently just last week, where I had to call for help to get up again. When your left leg and hip has turned into a useless meat deadweight and won't respond to your nerve signals at all, it makes life rather tricky! Still, I won't complain too much about it. There are people who've suffered the same injury I did who never walked again. Compared to them, I'm well off. If worse comes to worst, I guess I may have to look at a mobility scooter or something like that, although I really don't want to use one.
- The balance issues appear to be conflicting with pain management. I've been wearing a back brace for several months while walking, which does alleviate some of the pain and helps me stay on my feet longer (and lift things more easily when that becomes necessary). However, the more often (and longer) I wear the back brace, the less steady my gait becomes and the easier it is to lose my balance. When I think about it, it was compression of the nerve in the first place (during my original injury) that caused my ongoing problems, so it's perhaps logical that adding additional compression via a back brace may aggravate things. A neurological Catch-22, perhaps? That will be a topic for discussion with the pain management specialist on Friday.
- Some of the newer treatments (for example, caudal epidural steroid injections - of which I've had two so far (ouch!) - and, potentially, radiofrequency ablation for pain management, which is a convoluted medical term meaning they cauterize nerve endings) have side effects that can cause and/or aggravate other problems. (For example, hope and pray they cauterize the right nerve(s), because there's no coming back from that if they don't!) If I'm to continue with such methods, I need to understand precisely what's involved, and decide whether the promised benefits are worth the almost inevitable downsides. On the other hand, what (if any) are the alternatives?
Financially, we're coping. In case you missed earlier posts on this subject, I've had to argue ad nauseam with bureaucrats in both workers comp (for my original injury) and a medical insurer (for current problems). Neither wants to pay, seeking instead to pin the responsibility for the situation on the other. Meanwhile, since we can't wait for them to sort out their turf wars, we've had to pay our own way up front. We hope to recover at least some of that money from one or the other agency in due course. Thanks to reader generosity during my fundraiser last year (and a few who've continued that support since then - shout out to C. in particular!), plus our savings, plus a second mortgage on our home, we've been able to cope with the bills racked up so far (several tens of thousands of dollars). We remain deeply grateful for your help and support, without which our lives would be a whole lot more complicated right now.
Anyway, that's the state of my health so far. Thank you again to everyone who's supported us, and inquired after my health, and sent up prayers for us. All are greatly appreciated.
Peter
Damn,hope you find some solutions to this.
ReplyDeleteI would say if you have not already look into dsmo for the pain,might help,works for a lot of people with different issues and for me personally does a great job with "arthritic"(?) conditions in me hands.
I can if you would like dig up some links on it's benefits,till then hang tough and get better!
James
Was going to say the same thing without DMSO my pain would nearly disable me, Scleraderma in hands
DeleteIt sounds like a complicated process. I hope you are able to get relief soon.
ReplyDeletePrayers for you... I really enjoy my daily check-in here, and hope you return to full health... or as full as possible for folks our age.
ReplyDeleteYou might want to check to see if you can get low dose ketamine infusion therapy for the pain.
ReplyDelete