Sunday, October 4, 2026

Vacation update 1

 

We left on Friday morning, much to the woe and lamentation of our cat.  She'll survive, we're sure, particularly because friends from the North Texas Troublemakers will look in from time to time to restock her food, pet her, and generally reassure her that she hasn't been abandoned.

We spent Friday night in San Angelo, TX.  Friends there were flooded out by the tragedy last year, and left all their guns with us while they dried out and began remodeling their home.  Repairs have now progressed far enough that they've been able to move in again, so we took their guns back to them.  I must admit, I was half-hoping that a traffic cop would stop us and ask, "Any guns in the car?"  I'd have invited him to take his pick of a score or more!  In some places that would make the cop nervous, but here in north Texas he'd probably have spent the next half-hour on an impromptu show-and-tell.

We drove down to Corpus Christi today.  It was a relatively cool run, thanks to widespread light rain.  We're going to spend the next week in the area, playing tourist, walking along the beach, swimming, and generally relaxing and unwinding.  We're both under doctors' orders to let go of all our cares and concerns, which have been rather heavy over the past while, so we'll be lazy and enjoy the abundant seafood.  We started that tonight;  I had a grilled snapper, while my wife tried a "black drum", a type of fish of which I'd previously never heard (but which tasted great).  Key lime pie and turtle cheesecake finished the meal, with some coming back to the hotel with us for a midnight feast (if we can hold out that long).

Laid back and lazy will be the order of the next few days.

Peter


8 comments:

  1. Never heard of black drum? You need to start watching Lone Star Law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.ridleysontheisland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your time off. I believe the Lexington Museum is still open. Not everyday an actual U.S. battleship can be toured. Texas Aquarium maybe another site worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got stopped by a KY State trooper once. He asked if we had any firearms in the vehicle. Grunt said Why do you need one? I had to tell the trooper we all were carrying. He never did tell us why he pulled us over but sent us on our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun down there on the Gulf Coast. If you are in the Corpus Christi/North Padre Island area, I would commend a couple of restaurants, The Angry Marlin and the Captains Diner. My wife and I go there a couple of times a year and try to go to both.

    Happy Francis of Assisi Day. I admire what he did in following The Christ. As an Anglican I see him as a big S Saint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Hope your current medical treatment is giving you some relief. My favorite reply to the Texas traffic cop, "Sure officer, what do you need?".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had an aunt and uncle living in Corpus when I taught for a year at TAMIU in Laredo. I got turned into a temporary Hindu while riding a motorcycle over to their place for Thanksgiving; no helmet laws and a very large junebug at 70 mph produced an impressive bruise just above the Wiley-X riding glasses, dead center of my forehead.

    On the food front, see if you can hang a fang in a fresh-caught broiled or smoked Redfish...not Red Snapper, Redfish. We smoked one on a bed of sliced lemon and dill and it was one of the best fish I've ever had.

    Safe travels to you both. Rest and relax.

    ReplyDelete

ALL COMMENTS ARE MODERATED. THEY WILL APPEAR AFTER OWNER APPROVAL, WHICH MAY BE DELAYED.