Thursday, July 30, 2026

I wouldn't bet against this man...

 

I was intrigued to read this post about Elon Musk.  Click the screen capture below to be taken to the full-size version on X.com.



I admire Elon Musk.  He's made some mistakes, sure, but who hasn't?  However, he seems to learn from his mistakes a lot faster and a lot better than the rest of us, and proceeds to show the rest of the world how it's done.

That's why I'm also intrigued by the launch of X Money a few days ago.  Musk was one of the founders of Paypal, and withdrew from it several years ago.  He learned a lot about the consumer finance industry at that time (not to mention all he's learned about the corporate finance industry before and since).  X Money is still in its early stages, but I expect it'll incorporate all those lessons in due course, and will probably end up being a major threat to the consumer banking industry.  It's already offering an interest rate of 6% - three times higher than most banks of which I'm aware.  For those who keep "nest eggs" handy, either as an emergency reserve or saving to buy something expensive, that's a very large incentive, offering interest rates that offset most of what inflation is costing us.

This isn't an advertisement for X Money.  I'm just very interested to see what Musk's new venture will offer people like you and I.  I fully expect panicked reaction from consumer banks as they try to stop their customers from trying X Money for themselves.  Will this turn into his latest success story?  I wouldn't bet against it - or him.

Peter


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

...you and 'ME'

Carteach said...

I have an issue with anything 'X' based. Yes, I am on X. Almost have to be these days to get the stories and news from real humans. It's worthwhile, even with the time to sort our the liars and loons.
But.. and a big 'but'... I've had an X ban for no visible reason and no explanation. It came back in a week or two, but what vexed me is this. I was a Premium member, and the ban locked me out of my account, along with the auto-deduction from my bank account. I was kicked out, X was was still taking my money, and there is nobody there who speaks to people.

Imagine that thinking applied to your bank account, savings, loans, and credit cards.

Paul M said...

The true entrepreneurial spirit combined with an scientist engineer-type brain that continues to work on problems. Ever wake up in the middle of the night with something niggling about a design, only to - half asleep - solve it? Musk is this on steroids.

As for the other part, as a young engineer designer beating myself because of an error I didn’t catch and discussing the situation with my dad, he responded:
“You will make mistakes, but an intelligent professional makes fewer than most and recovers from them more quickly. The trick is not to repeat them, but learn from them.

Rob said...

That brain is why we see any electric cars on American roads, it's when spaceships NOW land like they are supposed to, it's why we can say most anything we want on Twitter without being canceled or reeducated. That brain is what put DOGE together and showed the trillions of dollars of corruption and graft that was just how Washington worked.

Anonymous said...

*Smiles in Mr. Hubbard*

Dan said...

If history is honest...which unfortunately is very unlikely...Elon Musk will be thought of along side Einstein, Newton and Da Vinci.

Anonymous said...

I saw an interview with Elon where the interviewer said something like "I wish I had a brain like yours" or "I wish I was more like you" and after a pause Elon said "no you don't" . He's explained that his brain is always going 100 mph and NEVER STOPS. He can't shut it off or slow it down. He's always having new ideas that he can't pursue and he finds it exhausting. (from interviews)

Watching him speak candidly to interviewers is incredibly interesting. I wasn't a fan, but after watching him in his own words, I think he's doing the best he can to accomplish possibly the biggest thing in history, getting all our eggs out of the one basket.

nick

Anonymous said...

A friend/mentor said "If you're not making mistakes, you're not working very hard. The trick is to catch your mistakes before anyone else does and then fix them.

Dan D. said...

My experience with his coworkers confirms that he is laser focused on details and can indeed make connections that others miss. But that doesn't make him a good engineer.

Also he is either a LARPing satanist or real one; he is the kind of person that wears an upside down red cross on a black leather Halloween costume. Just FYI in case it was missed.

Rob said...

Doesn't make Musk a good engineer...
Yet he brings us Tesla electric cars, boing machine tunnels for transporting people, reusable space ships, satellite internet, brain implants for paralyzed people and the stuff we haven't seen yet (robots)?

Anonymous said...

Elon smokes dope in a podcast with Dopey Joe Rogan, and enthuses about his Ketamine use. He is an actor and the whole Xphenomenon is a psyop. Wake up, switch on.

Stefan v.

Old NFO said...

No question he is an 'interesting' individual. And no, I wouldn't bet against him either!

Anonymous said...

What is a good engineer Dan?

Overload in Colorado said...

If it's paying 6%, I wonder what that money is being used for that pays more than 6%

Mike Hendrix said...

Apparently, this same fella ("Race") posted another good Elon story/legend/whatevs, which I wrote about here. They got called out by some Elon-phobic Lefty nitwits for being "fake," "AI slop," etc etc. For what it's worth, Race jumped in quickly to insist that no, they were the genuine article. Who even knows anymore. Thing about most of those with Elon-level fame, the legends, fairy tales, and myths DO seem to follow in their wake as their fame continues to grow...as does the number of detractors.

MN Steel said...

Propping up the 331 PE ratio Tesla stock?

Carl Hommel said...

"referenced a data point buried on page 47 of a 200 page test report... and found an anomaly" - sounds to me like exactly the sort of email an LLM agent would write. Because an AI that is better than what is available to the rest of us for commercial use would be quite a competitive edge.

Gerry said...

No doubt he's brilliant but in my mind he's more like Edison. He can identify talent and keep them working for him. He comes up with plausible ideas and a general scope. His talented people reduce the ideas to practice. I'd never bet against him.