Thursday, September 17, 2026

A new book from someone you already know well

 

My wife Dorothy has published several books as "Dorothy Grant".  They've been well received by her reading audience (which, of course, includes most of you . . . right?)

She's decided to tackle some books that are more adult-oriented than most of our previous output.  However, she doesn't want to put off those who are used to her previous style of writing.  They might object to the new, more "robust" tone of this book, so she's publishing it under a pseudonym, Summer Grayling.  There'll probably be more to follow under that pen-name.

Her first novel under this pseudonym, "True Colours", has just been published.  I think of it as a magical-fantasy tactically-correct quasi-romance, and I really like it!



The blurb reads:


Jan Van Der Vaart is a legend. The focus of his magical Talent is pain, and he's spent years in the military, then as a mercenary, making terrorists, cartels, and governments fear him. Finally, he carved out a safe haven for other Talents, and tried to retire... until one last job, cracking a black lab snatching Talents off the streets, went sideways. He's left staggering down a rainy coastal highway, thumb out and hoping he'll catch a lift before the kill team realizes they missed...

Aurelia Brinati is on the run. Having escaped five years of hell as an unwilling lab rat, she has a stolen car and a plan to hide from pursuers by taking passage on a cargo ship headed anywhere else in the world. When she picks up a stray sailor headed the same way, she rapidly discovers she's out of her depths... and safe in the heart of the storm.

The entire world fears him... except her. Powers are gathering to recapture Aurelia, but they'd best beware. Jan and his friends will do whatever it takes to keep her safe... whether it's murder, mayhem, or last-minute shopping runs to find something called cream of tartar for her snickerdoodle cookies.


I happen to think my wife is a better writer than I am.  I've really enjoyed all her books, and I'm very proud of her for achieving such success.  She was, I think, a bit nervous that I might be offended by some of the so-called "adult" bits in this book, but no, not at all.  She handles them with what I might call "enthusiastic restraint";  nothing excessively anatomical, if you will, but nevertheless real.  I'm already re-reading "True Colours" for the second time, and enjoying it all over again.

I hope you'll give this book a try.  I think you'll like it.  There are more coming from her in similar vein, so watch this space for details!

Peter

(P.S.:  Yes, I know she's chosen the name of a fish for her pseudonym.  It made us both giggle!  It's highly appropriate for this book, being set so much at sea.)


7 comments:

JohninMd.(HELP!) said...

So, where an we find this book, to check it out, Brother?

Peter said...

Follow the link provided in the book name, or click on the cover image. Either will take you to the book's page on Amazon.

McChuck said...

The worst part about this book is that it ends!

Dorothy's books place the violence onstage and keep the sex offstage. "Summer's" book places the sex onstage and keeps the violence offstage. They're both tastefully done and not needlessly graphic.

Stan_qaz said...

Once you order the book, go to the author page and click the follow button.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Summer-Grayling/author/B0HJZNRH5Q

Ed Hering said...

Speaking as someone whose REAL NAME is that of a fish--and whose books (two so far) are published under it, giggle away.

MarkD said...

Done. I enjoyed her previous books.

lynn said...

I have been reading Dorothy's Tactical Romances for the last several months and really enjoying them. Here is my last review:

"Between Two Graves: Book 4 of Combined Operations" by Dorothy Grant

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Two-Graves-Combined-Operations/dp/B0BB5S5FPQ/

Book number four of a four book science fiction tactical romance series. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on demand) trade paperback self published by the author in 2022 that I bought on Amazon in 2026.

On a far off colony world far in the distant future, the Federation and the Imperium are fighting clandestine battles in and around many of their client states. The usual problem is resources and land snatching. The terraforming of the planet 600 years before was never completed and people are needing more and more resources such as hydrocarbons and food.

AJ's mother has passed away in the far northern reaches of the Empire where AJ grew up. AJ and Jenna, now married, are ordered by their Empire Intelligence boss to attend the funeral even though AJ and his family have been estranged for over thirty years.

The story is very fast paced and the characters are extremely likable. The history of the colony world and the various political entities is not explained very well but that was not necessary for the story to be good.

The author's husband has a very active website where he promotes his books and her books at:
https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.8 stars out of 5 stars (170 reviews)

Lynn