Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****"


That's the title of a blunt, plain-speaking article by Mark Manson.  It's emphatically NOT safe for work;  the f-word is used well over a hundred times.  Here's a short (expurgated) example.

Now, while not giving a **** may seem simple on the surface, it’s a whole new bag of burritos under the hood. I don’t even know what that sentence means, but I don’t give a ****. A bag of burritos sounds awesome, so let’s just go with it.

The point is, most of us struggle throughout our lives by giving too many ****s in situations where ****s do not deserve to be given. We give a **** about the rude gas station attendant who gave us too many nickels. We give a **** when a show we liked was canceled on TV. We give a **** when our coworkers don’t bother asking us about our awesome weekend. We give a **** when it’s raining and we were supposed to go jogging in the morning.

****s given everywhere. Strewn about like seeds in mother-****ing spring time. And for what purpose? For what reason? Convenience? Easy comforts? A pat on the ****ing back maybe?

This is the problem, my friend.

There's much more at the link.

While I don't like the profanity (which is so over-the-top it eventually becomes boring), I must confess to a certain sympathy with many of the points Mr. Manson is trying to make.  If you feel so inclined, click over there, read them for yourself, and see what you think.

Peter

4 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

MANSON, huh?

Gail said...

Interesting points but I fear I have reached f**k over load by actually reading his article. And then I worry about me because it actually made sense!

Mike Doyle said...

Crudely-stated, certainly, but... I rather see what he's driving at. If I understand Mr. Manson correctly, he's repeating the advice to be careful about what causes you care about, and what hills you will (figuratively) die upon.

Evyl Robot Michael said...

Language aside, it's actually a pretty good piece on stress management.