Sometimes Doofi self-select themselves. I only had to read the headline in this case to know, beyond a shadow of doubt, that I'd found the candidate for today's award.
A Lake Elsinore [CA] man was bitten by a rattlesnake Monday as he picked it up and attempted to take a selfie.
Alex Gomez, 36, spotted the four-foot rattler in a field by his family’s ranch on Cielito Drive, shortly before he made the potentially deadly mistake.
. . .
Alex’s nephew, Ronnie, was with him when the snake was discovered, and says the reptile gave plenty of warning.
“It was really think and had ten rattles on it, it was rattling,” Ronnie said. “It was pretty mad.”
. . .
While Gomez is being treated with anti-venom, his mother says he may lose his hand.
“His skin is already rotting away,” Deborah described.
. . .
Gomez’ mother, meanwhile, says sharing his “embarrassing” story is the best way to teach her son a lesson she thought he already knew.
“I told him the news people had been calling, and he said ‘Mom, you better not’, and I said ‘I’m going to’. I’m going to teach him a real good lesson when he gets home. No mercy for him.”
There's more at the link.
A selfie? With a rattlesnake? Verily, the mind doth boggle . . .
I think his mother is going to milk the situation for all it's worth - but then, in that situation, so would I! That's the sort of idiocy that will make anyone who knows anything about critters do a double-take, then a facepalm (while uttering a very long-suffering sigh).