Saturday, October 24, 2015

Another piece of history for the gun collection


Browsing through my local Armslist the other day, I noticed a gentleman south of here selling a 1980's-vintage Smith & Wesson Model 19, the famous 'Combat Magnum' pioneered by Bill Jordan and developed with his input during the 1950's.  This was the standard police model with 4" barrel, square butt and target-style grips.  Production ceased in 1999.  It's in excellent condition, as you can see in the picture below.  Apologies for the slightly dark image.  I'll try to take a better one sometime.




I've seen these going for anywhere between $700 and $1,000 in top condition, depending on whether the original box and paperwork was included.  This was priced below that, without box or paperwork, but the seller described it as being in very good condition;  so, this morning, I drove down to take a look.  It was, indeed, nice, so I paid the man and brought it home with me.

I have in storage a high-ride thumb-break holster made specifically for this model of revolver.  I think it's time I took it out, polished it up, and put it back into use.  This gun won't be a safe queen - it'll be out on the range with me, where it belongs.  It'll make a nice companion to my other Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered for this cartridge.

Peter

10 comments:

Ryan said...

The S&W Model 19 was the pinnacle of development of the fighting revolver. They are great revolvers for anything less than a Grizzly Bear. I am sure you will be pleased with this purchase.

RHT447 said...

Bill Jordan indeed. In the photo in this article, he is in the front row, 4th from the right. Author Culver is in back row, far right.

http://www.jouster.com/sea_stories/silver_horseshoes.pdf

If you have not seen this page before, much more very interesting reading here:

http://www.jouster.com/index.html

Rev. Paul said...

That is a beautiful revolver. Well done, sir!

Anonymous said...

I regret trading a 2.5" 19 years ago. The last one I saw was the *exact* same gun! My wife picked it up and said, 'Wow! This is as nice as the one you had honey!"
"It IS the one I had...":(
That one and a 624 I sold haunt me. :)

drjim said...

One of the few revolvers on my "wish list".

Or maybe that's "lust list"!

Old NFO said...

Nice find! :-)

Joe in PNG said...

A good friend of mine was given one as her first gun.
I once passed one up at $450, and still regret it. I had a Model 15 at the time that was also pretty sweet.
And for those lucky enough to score one, remember the K frame was not meant to fire full house duty .357 Magnums on a regular basis. The old rule was to practice with .38 and carry with .357.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful revolver - lucky to find one for sale at a reasonable price.

Anonymous said...

My father still has his 19 that he carried while he was in S.E. Asia in 69.

If memory serves me correctly, it was the first "real" gun I ever fired. Nice piece. I can only hope that he will leave it to me.

Good job finding one is good condition.

MJM said...

Good score!

I still have the one I carried on duty for years, until the city was forced to furnish our pistols as "safety equipment"; they furnished the S&W Mod 66 -- the stainless equivalent-- which was eventually replaced by the semi-auto. It now does duty as a saddle gun as the 9mm Sig does not have the oomph for things met on the trail.

Mine is identical save a Pachmeyer grip sculpted to accept speed-loaders.