Saturday, October 24, 2015

In Memoriam: Maureen O'Hara


I'm sad to learn that actress Maureen O'Hara has died in her sleep at the age of 95.

She always struck me as the quintessential Lady (with a capital 'L') of cinema.  So many of her peers and contemporaries were more or less corrupted by their experiences in Hollywood, but not Ms. O'Hara.  She never lost sight of who she was as a woman and a lady, and expected others to do likewise.  Her relationship with director John Ford in particular (which she described in a 2004 interview) was stormy, bewildering and complex, yet she rose above the difficulties to deliver her best performances for him.

I most enjoyed the films she made with John Wayne, particularly McClintock! and The Quiet Man.  She was probably the single most important influence that led him to convert to Catholicism shortly before his death from lung cancer.  They were the dearest of friends for many years.

I'm sorry Maureen O'Hara has left us, but she's earned her rest.  May she find it in heaven, in the company of those she knew so well, and all the people she helped to aspire to be better persons by imitating her example.

Peter

3 comments:

Jim said...

A favorite actress, and in my humble opinion, one of the most beautiful women ever to walk this planet. She is missed.

Bruce said...

Clint Eastwood was right when he said, "I guess everyone was in love with Maureen O'Hara." I can't think of a single role that I have ever seen her play that she delivered a poor performance. I caught an interview she did with Larry King a number of years ago, and you could tell she was nothing short of a true Lady.

Maureen and the Duke were very close friends and the depth of that relationship came through in the work they did together. The Quiet Man is easily my favorite movie of all times.

Quartermaster said...

I loved her performance in McClintock. It was a shame she didn't do more movies with the Duke.

Wayne's 3rd wife questioned his supposed conversion to Roman Catholicism. I've never seen anything that convinced me had either.