Thursday, October 15, 2015

Overnighting in Maumelle, Arkansas


Miss D. and I left Wichita Falls early this morning on our way home.  We made good time, and by early afternoon were closing in on Little Rock, capital city of Arkansas.  Unfortunately, by then last night's supper (Mexican food) was closing in on my wife's digestive system, too . . . she wasn't feeling at her brightest and best.  Furthermore, although I've already done one twelve-hour drive in a single day during this vacation, I'm feeling the cumulative effects of well over 3,000 miles behind the wheel in less than two weeks (it'll approach 4,000 by the time we get home), plus not too much time to rest during the days and evenings.  It's great to see friends and socialize, but fatigue does catch up with you sooner or later, and I'm not as young as I once was. I caught myself wandering out of my lane on the Interstate, and immediately decided I wasn't fit to continue driving until I was better rested.

Fortunately, we weren't far from the turnoff to Maumelle, AR.  It's a small town on the outskirts of Little Rock that I hadn't visited before.  We looked up our favorite hotel chain on Miss D.'s cellphone, and sure enough, they had one in the town.  We enjoyed the drive through Maumelle to reach it;  lots of trees and greenery, comfortable homes, and so on.  Maumelle looks to be an upscale dormitory town for Little Rock.

We booked into the hotel and collapsed onto comfortable beds to rest and relax.  We're both much more refreshed now.  We've ordered pizza from a local restaurant rather than go out, and we'll enjoy a quiet, peaceful evening together.  Home's not too far away now, at most a six-hour drive, so we'll finish the journey in the morning after a good night's sleep.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers for traveling mercies.  They helped look after us today, I'm sure.

Peter

3 comments:

K said...

Try sawbuck restaurant in maumelle for a great breakfast. Welcome to my great state!!!

Old NFO said...

Great to see y'all and travel safe the remaining distance!

Anonymous said...

So what is the favorite hotel franchise, and why? For my wife and I, it's almost exclusively the Hampton Inn. The breakfasts are usually good, and we've never been to one without a decent hot tub, which we need after 8-10 hour driving days. Plus we like the way they do their beds. But that's just us.

FormerFlyer