Sunday, August 16, 2015

Soviet aviation from the dawn of flight until today


I know many of my readers are, like myself, aviation enthusiasts.  I think you'll be as pleased as I was to come across the MainWW Documentaries channel on YouTube.  It's hosting a series of 18 videos from Russia, covering the development of aircraft in the Soviet Union since the advent of powered flight.

The programs' narration is a little simplistic (perhaps due to inadequate translation), and contains propaganda elements;  but they're nevertheless the first really detailed cinematic look into the development of Soviet aviation that I've ever found.  There are fascinating glimpses of aircraft I've never heard of, and stories to match developments in the West with which we're much more familiar.  Overall, this series gets my thumbs up for a unique perspective on the history of aviation.

To whet your appetite, here's the first of 18 programs in the series.  It's titled 'Soviet Fighters: First Victories'.





There are 17 more of them at the YouTube channel.  They make very interesting viewing.  I can see I'm going to spend many hours watching them as and when I find time over the next few weeks.

Peter

1 comment:

Jim said...

Took a look at part one. Interesting stuff, though you can certainly tell that the narrator ain't from Peoria. I'll have to watch part two in the near future.