Friday, June 16, 2017

Reflections on Texas small town life


1.  It's good to live in a town where our contractor, putting up a privacy fence around our newly extended back yard, can leave his trailer parked outside it overnight, with materials and tools in the back, in the confident expectation that everything will be as he left it in the morning.  Petty theft isn't something anyone worries about around here.

2.  It's rather nice to live in a small town where people get to know you.  To get cheery waves while walking or driving down the street, along with a "Hello!" and a smile, is very pleasant.  (Sometimes you'll get those from perfect strangers, too!)  So is walking into the post office, or the bank, or a local store, and being greeted by name.

3.  It's fun to be told by the mailman that "You've won the Amazon prize this week" for the most parcels delivered from that vendor to a local address.  (Said, I might add, with a friendly grimace through a layer of perspiration, as he lugs the latest batch of boxes to our door.  Hey, northern Texas in high summer is hot.  What can I say?)

4.  It's amusing to watch local cyclists training in preparation for the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred race, held in Wichita Falls at the end of August.  The name describes the race very well:  100 miles through high summer heat, usually around 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) or even more.  Locals giggle at the more dedicated cyclists as they go rushing past them, Spandex dripping with sweat - and sometimes running smack into the rear of vehicles ahead of them, because the riders have their heads down and aren't watching for road hazards.  I think it's the local version of light entertainment!  Whizz . . . zip . . . whoosh . . . CRUNCH!  "Thar goes another 'un!  You gotta new dent in your tailgate, buddy!"




Peter

10 comments:

LindaG said...

Haha. Glad your small town is still a small town.

After we bought the family farm from BIL, we drove between here and NC 2 or 3 times a year. A locked gate invited theft. Small things which were annoying when discovered. The bigger, harder to replace things we made harder to steal.

Of course we found out later there was a crack house nearby. We consider ourselves blessed it was only small things.

I pray your small town continues to remain small.

SiGraybeard said...

I thought about riding the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred many times, but never did. Our temps don't hit 100 routinely, but I've done hundred mile rides when it was in the 90s with a "feels like" temp of over 100.

The idea of taking a two or three day car ride across the southern tier of states to get there and torment myself never made it to the levels of, "What a great idea! Let's go do that!!".

Eagle said...

I did the Hotter 'N Hell back in 2003. Spent months training and getting acclimated to the heat. Fun accomplishment, but between kids and job I don't have time any longer. I do spend some time on two wheels, but I spend it on a Triumph now. :-)

Jim said...

Sounds like the part of Kansas I live in.

Jon said...

Umm... It's not even July. You haven't hit high summer yet. Trust me on this.

Anonymous said...

When visitors come to my place and we visit the nearest town of 1700 or so people they're always amused by the various modes of transport parked around the square or the market. There are the obligatory pickup trucks and cars but there are also golf carts, ATVs and UTVs, horses and wagons or buggies and there's a tractor or two thrown in. Last weekend in fact I rode to town on an ATV and parked next to a horse and buggy in the grocery store parking lot. Not everywhere you have the bag boy ask you if you're on the horse or the four wheeler.

MrGarabaldi said...

Hey Peter;

Enjoy the small town feel, there ain't many places like that where I call "small town America". I wish I could live in such a place but unfortunately "Civilization" has caught up with us when first moved here 20 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I live in a small town and work in a big one. I've lost my tolerance of traffic jams!

Old NFO said...

It was 'only' 100 today... :-) And yes, it's a helluva relief to get back to small town life!

Rob said...

Putting "Fahrenheit" after the 100 cracked me up!