Friday, July 26, 2024

Making a hash of it

 

I'd never thought much about beef hash or corned beef hash, except that I occasionally enjoy them for breakfast along with eggs and toast.  However, it turns out hash goes back centuries, and there's a clear development in that timeline from what they called hash way back then, to what we know as hash today.

Townsends has produced this video introducing hash and its history.  It makes interesting viewing for foodies, and may be the basis for some new hash ideas in the future.  I'm pondering hash made with chopped dried fruit, to add a little sweetness.  Different, certainly, but possibly also very tasty . . .




Suddenly I feel hungry . . .

Peter


7 comments:

Birdchaser said...

The only real hash is South Carolina Barbecue hash made with pork & potatoes all the others are imposters .

Anonymous said...

And this was supposed to be my fast day . . .

Javahead said...

I've told my wife that her home-made fried rice (leftover rice, leftover meat or Chinese sausage, mixed vegetables) is just the Chinese version of hash. She doesn't disagree.

Basically, leftover meat, leftover starch (potatoes or turnips or rice), whatever veggies are on hand, seasonings.

As long as the original ingredients are good, I'm not certain there's any way to do it wrong.

Grog said...

I have cooked hash from a can, and made my own, as long as eggs and ketchup are available, life is good.

LL said...

I almost always order corned beef hash if it's on the menu. I've had good hash and I've had bad hash (canned is not the worst). Two over-easy eggs goes well with hash. Three if you're hungry. Hash on eggs benedict as the meat works better than you might think.

audeojude said...

sigh.. canned cornbeef hash goes back to childhood for me. Funny enough it also is one of the few crossover foods that my wife likes as well. So far we have corrupted one of our children into it being a favorite also. Sadly at the cost of a can today it is seldom on the menu.

Home made home fries, which as mentioned is sorta a hash, gets made a lot around here. Leftover baked potatoes, frozen potatoes/hash from the store, frozen french fries diced up and fried or just starting from scratch with a raw potato are all on the menu frequently here. admendments include when available, onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, ham, sausage of 4 or 5 varieties when around, cheese once in a while... or any leftovers that might seem compatible :)

Townsends channel is great... have watched his stuff for a decade at least.

Anonymous said...

Hash with fruit sounds like a dry version of mincemeat (real mincemeat, not dessert version).

TXRed