Sunday, July 21, 2024

Sunday morning music

 

I mentioned yesterday that I'd been "Working too hard.  Not able to switch off my mind and relax."  I got some more sleep during the day yesterday, and so far tonight's been OK . . . to bed at about 9.30 PM last night, up at 2:20 AM as expected (my permanent spine injury won't let me sleep much longer than 4 or 5 hours at a time without locking up solid, so that I have to get up, walk around, have some tea [and sometimes a painkiller], and wait an hour or two until -if - I can get back to sleep).

At any rate, Friday night reminded me of one of my favorite songs from the 1960's:  "The Windmills Of Your Mind", sung by Noel Harrison in the film "The Thomas Crown Affair".  One of the composers, Alan Bergman, said of it:  "We felt that the song had to be a mind trip of some kind ... I think we were thinking, you know when you try to fall asleep at night and you can't turn your brain off and thoughts and memories tumble."




Apart from being a brilliant musical summation of a central dilemma in the film, it's certainly an accurate description of lying awake, sometimes for hours, trying to get one's mind to stop flitting from subject to subject, and instead slow down enough to get some sleep!

Peter


2 comments:

LL said...

Thanks for that, BRM

wheels said...

It's got a bit of profanity in it, but here's a new song specifically about that problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaG4vGsIFMQ