Thursday, October 17, 2024

Er... oops?

 

I came across this photograph on MeWe (sorry, I can't link to the source post, as MeWe has no facilities to do that).  It made me laugh.  Click the image for a larger view.



Not a bad bit of parking, if you ignore the hole in the wall.  The barrel didn't mess up the running tracks for the overhead door at all!

What I'm curious about is where the photograph was taken, and of what armed force's artillery.  The camouflage on the vehicle looks to be German or further east in Europe, but I'm no expert on camo patterns, so I can't be sure.  There are only 5 road wheels, and the tall, angled turret enclosing the cannon doesn't fit any US artillery I can think of.

Can any reader identify the service (and, if possible, the SPG) and post more information in Comments?  Thanks.

Peter


5 comments:

NobobyExpects said...

Hull looks AMX-13 -like, but turret could be even from a AAA variant.

NobobyExpects said...

My bad. It is an AMX-30 AuF1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-30_AuF1

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it looks French.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-30_AuF1

oldvet1950 said...

I'm no military expert by any means, but why is the barrel poking through that small hole? Shouldn't it be a slot or are those tank barrels easily deflected?

Anonymous said...

I think that qualifies as an accident… 🤷‍♂️