Friday, December 18, 2015

Remember what I said about security threats?


Not very long ago, I wrote about the increased security threats we face following the Paris and San Bernardino terror attacks.  At the time, some readers poo-poohed my warnings, believing that I was more than a little paranoid.

Turns out I wasn't alone in that.




I'm sure at least some of the incidents described, in Tempe, Arizona and southern California, were attempts at intimidation rather than actual terrorist threats.  Nevertheless, I'm hearing from former colleagues in Federal law enforcement circles, and also from local and regional security agencies, that their level of alert has been significantly ratcheted up.  Recent events in Missouri tend to confirm that there are, indeed, grounds for concern, even if those concerns can't be proved beyond doubt at this stage.

Put yourself in ISIS's shoes.  They've made a big impact in Europe with the Paris attacks, and their surrogates in San Bernardino made a big impact here.  They can't afford to let that impact die down and fade into the background.  They have to keep the momentum going, or lose the 'terror effect'.  They have camps just outside our borders, and undoubtedly have people already on the ground in this country, with more trying to sneak in every day.  Frankly, if we make it through the Christmas period without a terrorist attack somewhere in the USA (possibly in more than one place, perhaps even a multitude of smaller attacks in numerous places) I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Keep your heads up, your eyes and ears peeled, and your powder dry, friends, particularly if you live in or near a major center.  If I were you, I'd avoid places like crowded shopping malls, movie theaters and the like.  It's going to be a twitchy holiday season.

Peter

EDITED TO ADD:  Here's a three-part article by my online buddy Peter Burlingame on how to react and respond to a terrorist incident.  He knows whereof he speaks.  Recommended reading.




There may be more to follow.  Keep your eye on that Web site for details, and on Peter's YouTube channel, where you'll find interesting and instructional videos on related topics.

11 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I'd feel a whole lot better about such places if concealed carry was more common.

Gorges Smythe said...

P.S. - Can you imagine the surprise on the part of the terrorists if they started shooting in a theater and a hundred people returned fire?

Gail said...

I have no doubt that's what my husband would do in any life threatening situation. He's my hero and is always armed.

Just think how much excitement that purple paint caused! They will not soon forget the house. My mixed color will be hidden in the basement. I think my Rustic Red will be our new house color for the trim and sides that need it. Fortunately our field stone had a red tint too although I'm sure the gray of now will be my favorite.

Have a blessed weekend.

SiGraybeard said...

More than a little paranoid? As the saying goes, you may be that, but are you paranoid enough?

Anonymous said...

Out of idle curiosity (nothing more, 'cause where I live, I cannot purchase a handgun) but what are your thoughts on green vs. red targeting laser? Apparently the red laser cannot be seen in daylight whereas the green one can? Is that a good or a bad thing for someone armed with such a handgun and trying to take out two or three terrorists firing AK-47s into the crowd? Also, I've seen some of your commenters write that one should not use the laser dot for aiming, but then what it is good for?

Peter said...

@Anonymous at 5:21 PM: A green laser is more likely to be visible in daylight than a red - but it's not guaranteed, depending on the intensity of the light, the color of the background, the range of the target, and other factors.

I think a laser is a definite plus factor in smaller handguns, particularly those you might have to use without having space or time to raise the gun to eye level and use the sights. A laser can save your favorite butt under such conditions. It also helps to take 'tight' shots at longer ranges, if it's visible. For example, if one sets one's laser at the range (using one's standard carry load) to be on target at 25 yards, one can take a head shot at that range or even slightly further when the target is partly obscured by others (e.g. hostages). I'd hesitate to take such a shot using iron sights alone, due to my aging eyes. I'll take all the help I can get, thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

So there will be local stormtroopers at the theater during the showings?

Antibubba

David said...

Went to see it today at a less "high profile" time (10 AM), and at a theater which does not prohibit firearms (and I was carrying). Made sure I sat where I could see the exits, and not so deep in a row that I couldn't get out. Risk free? No. Risk mitigated fairly reasonably? Yes.

I survived, and the movie was great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Peter, for your reply to my question about lasers. Also, big thanks for many posts that have provided reading pleasure and useful information. Best wishes to you and yours for a healthy and prosperous 2016!

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that we are at an increased security risk

Anonymous said...

Agreed. While the politicians argue about Syrian refugees coming into the country legally, no one (except for Trump) mentions the real possibility of terrorists coming into the country illegally, sneaking over the border. Objective - not to live here, but to commit violent acts until killed. Especially for the national border dwellers living in high population zones.