Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Low humor, high flying


I try to keep this a family-friendly blog, but sometimes something otherwise inappropriate just hits my funnybone.  This is one such time.

Wirecutter posted this picture a few days ago.  Note the aircraft registration code.




I immediately thought it was a Photoshop fake.  I mean, really, what bureaucrat is going to allow an aircraft registration like that?  Little did I know.  It turns out there really was a German aircraft with the registration code D-ILDO.  It wasn't the aircraft in the picture - that, I'm pretty sure, is a Photoshop fake.  It was a Dornier Do 228 twin-engined short takeoff and landing aircraft, delivered in 1981.  Its current location and registration are unknown, and I wasn't able to find a picture of it.

I was so amused, I had to find more aircraft like it.  There are several good threads about funny aircraft registrations, particularly this one on the PPRuNe forum.  I should warn readers that some of those mentioned there are definitely scatological, and not fit for children's ears!

I had to laugh at several of the registrations mentioned. There's this one, a Cessna 421C Golden Eagle, registered in Britain as G-ONAD.  Then there's this Irish Piper PA-34 Seneca II, registered as you see below.  Yes, the owner was indeed named MacDonald!  Sadly, the aircraft was damaged beyond repair in a landing incident in 2000.




Finally, there's a spotting and observation aircraft with a registration code that's entirely appropriate for its job, but can only be described as a classic double entendre.  It's the Observer model of the Partenavia P-68B.




Er... ah... yes.  Quite!




Peter

7 comments:

paladin3001 said...

Back in my air cadet days I used to fly with a civilian gliding club. Mixed membership of military and civilians. There was this one Navy guy that owned his own sailplane. Remember one day where he was bitching about not getting the registration he wanted... C-DAWG. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

the first small plane I went up in had the reg DOA-1

Anachronda said...

PowerPC processors have an eieio instruction; it stands for "enforce in-order execution of i/o" and ensures that instructions that appear before it are seen by the outside world before instructions that appear after it. This is critically important and all modern processors have such an instruction, they're just usually called "barriers" instead of something cute like eieio.

Anonymous said...

Actually not a Photoshop, it's actually assigned now to a Piper PA-42

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/711039/d-ildo-private-piper-pa-42-1000-cheyenne-400

https://youtu.be/I50K168ztuY

Anonymous said...

There is a housing complex nearby named The Colony. One day I drove by and some enterprising soul had removed the `y`

Anonymous said...

Peter, try searching for "Cheyenne 400 D-ILDO" and you'll find lots of pictures of this plane. I imagine the German word for dildo is quite a bit longer.

Al_in_Ottawa

Anonymous said...

One day at Ye Local Flying Patch, a Taylorcraft came in with the registration 9VD emblazoned on the tail.

One of the regular bench-warmers and hangar flyers observed, "They now have things to cure that."

LittleRed1