Thursday, October 27, 2022

Blog progress report

 

The hard work of transferring over 17,000 posts from here to my new server has been completed.  At present they're simply copied over, and the blog format/layout hasn't been set up;  but the transfer was a biggie, so I'm glad it's done.  The layout and other setup work will be tackled over the next week or so.

In the meantime, I'll continue to post new blog articles here.  I'll make sure to post each one on the new server, too, so that when the switch finally happens, they'll all be there.  Thanks for your patience while I get all this organized.

I know how to use the Wordpress editor for blogging, but I have no experience whatsoever in formatting and laying out a blog under that software.  Ideally, I'd like something similar to this one, with books, old posts, etc. listed in the sidebar, but I'm not sure how to get there from here.  If any reader can offer suggestions for good resources to help with that, please let me know in Comments.

I'll do my best to make the transition as seamless and easy as possible.  Thanks for your patience.

Peter


12 comments:

edlfrey said...

You may like the Astra Wordpress theme. It can be set up to look like what you have in Blogger.

How the postings would be imported - I have no idea.

Unknown said...

Do you know anything about the disappearance of Lawdog's blog?

Andrew Smith said...

The formatting and display behavior all comes down to the template (theme). I'm kinda surprised you were doing the transfer before this part was sorted out.

Peter said...

@Andrew Smith: Haste was a factor. I've already had one article removed by Google, and there are indications that more action may follow (a threat faced by many conservative and not-sufficiently-progressive blogs right now). I decided to get things done as fast as possible, just in case, and do the fine-tuning later.

LindaG said...

Good luck and God bless. :-)

boron said...

what LindaG said

Peter said...

Peter Grant, you do such a good job writing on so many subjects I've enjoyed for years. I wish you luck in the transfer and hope nothing is lost.

BillB said...

Have you talked with OldNFO? Who does his blog set up as it is in WordPress? He has books and a blog roll.

I have a little WordPress knowledge from my (almost unused)personal blog Thoughts from the Last Frontier in Bandera, but not a lot. You can create categories and categorize your post similar to what you have in the right column (Catholic clergy sex abuse, Firearms and self defense, etc.). You can do archives. There are plug-ins to do about everything.

CarlS said...

These might help . . .

How to Import and Export Your Blog in Blogger (February 16, 2012)
https://www.mayura4ever.com/2012/02/how-to-import-and-export-your-blog-in.html

How to Migrate from Blogspot to Wordpress (An Easy Guide) (June 10, 2020)
https://www.shoutmeloud.com/migrate-blogspot-wordpress-301-permaredirection.html

How To Migrate Your Blog From Blogspot To WordPress, Step By Step (September 08, 2022)
https://bloggingwizard.com/migrate-blogspot-to-wordpress/

How to Export a WordPress Theme (+ Import to Another Site) (April 07, 2022)
https://www.seedprod.com/how-to-export-a-wordpress-theme/

Iwoots said...

Re. "In the meantime, I'll continue to post new blog articles here. I'll make sure to post each one on the new server, too,"

Am I looking right past a link for the new site?

Peter said...

@lwoots: No, I haven't posted it yet. Watch this space!

glasslass said...

Just glad you're back. But I'll second unknown in Lawdog's blog. Tried to open from other's sidebars and nothing but he's exceeded his bandwidth.