Friday, February 15, 2008

And you thought 18-wheelers were bad!


In some parts of the world the standard American 18-wheeler heavy truck would be looked upon with disdain.

The good people at Dark Roasted Blend (one of the most interesting Web sites I've ever discovered) have just published a fascinating post on "monster truck trains". To whet your appetite, here's the two-way mammoth from Emirates Truck Factory, which can carry up to 2,290 metric tonnes (over 2,500 US tons) (click for larger image):




Then there's the South African "road train", which I recall seeing in that country on several occasions as I drove around the highways and byways:




See here for the full article. I hope I never have to get past one of these beasts in my little pickup - it would be daunting, to say the least!

Peter

1 comment:

Diamond Mair said...

;-)
I'd like to SEE those behemoths on the road from Prague to Karlstejn castle .................... my spousal unit still laughs at how I turned pale green on those switchback, hairpin roads ..................... of course, the dropoff was on MY side of the car ...................... ;-)
Semper Fi'
DM