Tuesday, April 26, 2022

More hot dog variations on a theme - oh, my . . . !

 

Last week I published a chart (courtesy of Virtual Mirage) showing variations on the theme of ye olde basic hot dog.  It proved very popular, with lots of reader comments.  Among them was one from Steve S., who recommended an eatery called Dirty Frank's Hot Dog Palace.

I took a look at their menu.  My, oh my, oh my . . .  This is a screenshot of only the hot dog and toppings sections of the menu.  Clickit to biggit.



Some of those look mouthwateringly good - even though a food purist might describe them as a gastronomic abomination!  I'm going to have to try making them myself.  Click over to Dirty Frank's to see the rest of the menu.

Diet?  What diet?

(Thanks, Steve!)



Peter


7 comments:

Steve S said...

BTW my favorite prep is ripped and charred (split longways and grilled).

Bruce said...

Plain hot dog on a bun with ketchup.
Only way I'll eat a hot dog!

Old NFO said...

Wow...

McChuck said...

Okay, I now have a backup in downtown Columbus when Schmidt's is too busy to get in. Thanks for sharing!

Paul, Dammit! said...

We can't forget Hot Dog Soup- a shipboard favorite- boiled hot dogs. Officers get the hot dogs, crew gets the broth.

For some reason, the cook on my old boat used to get mad when I erased his menu off the white board and wrote that.

JWAFTEROURS said...

I hate to brag but I’m going to anyway. I’ve been a dirty water dog aficionado forever. Living and working in nyc there’s a hot dog wagon on almost every corner so as an iron worker with a 30 minute lunch break having 2 dirty water dogs on one bun with spicy mustard and sauerkraut was a fast cheap meal. I got friendly with one vendor at the subway stop on my way home who sold his dogs for fifty cents and put 3 kids through college doing it. If there’s a hot dog hall of fame for these gastronomic heroes who stand under their umbrellas rain or shine,summer and winter I nominate Gus the Greek hot dog guy and his faithful cart who stood on Main Street flushing queens for at least the twenty plus years I patronized him.

JWAFTEROURS said...

Please grant me an afterthought- my last gig was welder for the nyc department of correction. I was entitled to one meal a day in the staff chow hall which I avoided like the plague except for the one day they served (you guessed it) hot dogs and beans. Those low bid hot dogs and watery beans were the best although I’m afraid to think why.