Saturday, October 31, 2009

The recovery continues


It's now three and a half weeks since my quadruple heart bypass surgery, and I'm beginning to feel a bit more human. My stitches were removed this week (those that were visible, anyway - there's a bunch that are internal, and will either dissolve on their own or remain as wire holding my breastbone together). That was a bit ouchy, as the skin had dried out around them, and tugging on them was rather painful, but at least it's over now.

I'm getting more mobile, trying to walk up to half a mile a day (I did about a mile today), and get myself back into shape. I start 36 sessions of cardiac rehabilitation (3 each week) next Monday, and that'll combine with daily walking to keep me active over the next few months. My chest feels rather peculiar, as the breastbone's still not knitted together, and walking too far or doing too much results in little slipping feelings and noises as bits of bone seem to slide over each other - most peculiar! Still, they tell me it'll get better with time.

I'm very grateful that the excruciating pain of moving around is much better, and even coughing is getting easier (although that's still very sore). Hopefully, by the end of November, things will have improved to the point when I no longer wince when I cough!

Miss D. has now joined me from Alaska. Over the next few months she'll be helping me with my recuperation, keeping me challenged and up-to-the-mark in terms of fitness and rehab exercises (of which she has all too much experience from her own injuries), and generally being a loving nag in the background. I'll let you know if I survive the experience! I'm very grateful to have her here. It makes things much easier.

Thanks again to all of you who've sent prayers and good wishes my way. So far, so good.

Peter

9 comments:

Michael W. said...

Peter,

It's good to hear you are on the mend and have such a positive attitude about getting better.

Just in case you don't know, you scared the crap out of your loyal readers, don't do it again. -grin-

Shell said...

Heal well and soon, Peter. Good thoughts wing their way to you from just outside Atlanta every day.

Rova said...

Our best wishes to you BOTH!

Remember, in the words of Snoopy, "Smile, and the world smiles with you; drool, and they send you outside!"

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are getting better.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

"loving nag"?

It's on now!

Jenny said...

I dunno. Sounds about right.

(said from thousands of miles away. :) )

Old NFO said...

Good to hear things are improving... Miss D is gonna beat you for that comment though :-)

Anonymous said...

Careful with that internal wiring...my friend had to get rewired after his quad last year because things slipped. Good luck on recovery.

Crucis said...

Glad to hear the good news, Peter. Please keep us all in the loop as time goes on. And Kudos to Miss D for coming down to help out and missing this years Alaskan winter.